Friday, February 21, 2014

Paseo del Prado, Habana


Paseo del Prado, Habana

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/det.4a31854/

This photograph is part of a series of photographs that were taken c1900 in and around Havana Cuba. I Googled the street name and city and found some photographs of this street in modern day. The feeling is still there, but it is, of course, much more modern with paved streets and a large cement walk down the middle that has been poured around the trees.
This particular photograph caught my eye for several reasons. It's an outdoor photograph and I definitely lean toward that type of photography. The coloring is both beautiful and intriguing. Because the colors are mostly pastel, (which is usually NOT a color palette that I favor) the photograph looks like a watercolor painting to me and the beautiful deep green of the trees is a wonderful contrast to the soft colored buildings. The vanishing point of the sidewalk together with the row of trees leads my eye into the photograph and then makes me want to keep walking through and see what's at the end of the street. I love the texture that is represented in the ruts of the dirt road, the bark of the trees, and the architecture of the buildings. In addition I love how even though the buildings on the right look very similar to one another - the round columns out front, the height of the buildings is similar, most of them have second story windows - they are individual in their own right. They are painted different colors, the architecture of the second story windows is different for each, little details have been added to make each one stand out. This shows to me that the people in this town, or the people that owned the buildings, took pride in their surroundings and cared enough to make sure the building they were in charge of looked as good as it possibly could.
I would love to walk along this street or sit on one of the benches under the canopy of the beautiful shade trees. This photograph is peaceful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment